Saturday, June 19, 2010



These are pictures of the mountains of Israel. I pray that Israel, you may live forever! You, whom the LORD loves.



One of the most beloved Psalms of all time (besides Psalm 23) is Psalm 121. This is one of the Songs of the Ascents--most commonly thought of as a song sung by Israelite pilgrims making a journey to Jerusalem in order to celebrate the feasts unto the Lord.

I have struggled to rest upon the right sound and the right lyrics for Psalm 3. So, one night, at the suggestion of a father-like mentor, I just opened the Word to Psalm 121; started to play my guitar; I sang. This is what came.

Oh, how I want the Word to live on the inside of me in such a way that these Words would be more than mere words. I want them to be alive within me--piercing to the bone and to the marrow. For, God's Word is alive, and He is alive and well. I pray that this psalm would spur you on to the LORD, the Maker of Heaven and Earth. May you know Your keeper is watching over you.

Psalm 121 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.
3 He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
4 Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade on your right hand.
6 The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
8 The LORD will guard your going out and your comin in
From this time forth and forever.

(FOREVER!!! PRAISE YESHUA! My note: Emphasis added)

Psalm 121
Mary Beth Hough

Verse 1:
I lift my eyes up to the hills,
where does my help come from?

I lift my eyes up to the hills,
where does my help come from?

(Repeat)

Verse 2:
My help comes from the LORD above,
Maker of Heaven and Earth.

My help comes from the LORD above,
Maker of Heaven and Earth.

Chorus:
You will not let my foot slip--
You do not slumber.

You are my shade by night and day.
You are my strength, forever.

(Repeat Verse 1 and Verse 2)

Bridge:
You are watching over me!
You are watching over me!
You keep watch over me!

You're the guarder of my way!
You're the guarder of my soul!
You are keeper, watcher of my soul!

Repeat Verse 1

How much we need to know Him...in every changing season, in every uncertain territory, He is our help. May our hearts lift up to Him.

1 comment:

  1. Really love this one. I think it's my favorite of your psalm songs and kind of reminds me of your shepherd song. This Psalm is also one of those special places scripture that God repeatedly brings me back to: very intimate, very comforting. Thanks for pointing to people to God's words... for where else shall we go when He holds the words of life. But, we are prone to wander and He is gracious to draw us back.

    ReplyDelete